Dealing with flies in the summertime can be quite a nuisance, but with a few simple steps, you can keep these pesky insects at bay and enjoy a fly-free summer. Here are some practical ways to deal with flies during the warmer months:
- Cleanliness is Key: Flies are attracted to food and organic matter, so keeping your living spaces clean is essential. Regularly clean kitchen counters, dining areas, and other areas where food is prepared or consumed. Wipe up spills and crumbs promptly, and keep garbage bins tightly sealed.
- Cover Food and Store It Properly: When dining outdoors or having picnics, cover your food with mesh food covers or lids to prevent flies from landing on it. Store leftovers in airtight containers to avoid attracting flies to your fridge.
- Maintain Your Garden: Flies are drawn to decaying plant matter and ripe fruits, so be diligent about cleaning up fallen leaves and ripe fruits in your garden. Consider using compost bins with secure lids to manage organic waste properly.
- Use Fly Screens: Install fly screens on windows and doors to prevent flies from entering your home while still allowing fresh air to flow through.
- Natural Repellents: You can use several natural repellents to deter flies. Essential oils like citronella, eucalyptus, and peppermint can be mixed with water and sprayed around doorways and windows. You can also create a fly-repelling sachet with dried herbs like lavender, mint, or basil and hang it in areas where flies are problematic.
- Fly Traps: Set up fly traps around your outdoor spaces to capture and reduce the fly population. You can use commercial fly traps or make your own by using a mixture of apple cider vinegar and dish soap in a bowl or jar.
- Consider Outdoor Fans: Flies are weak fliers, and having outdoor fans can help create a breeze that keeps them away from your sitting and dining areas.
- Pet Waste Management: If you have pets, promptly clean up their waste in the yard as it can attract flies. Use covered pet waste bins to store the waste until disposal.
- Avoid Stagnant Water: Flies are also attracted to standing water, so regularly check your yard for any areas with stagnant water and take measures to eliminate it.
By following these tips, you can significantly reduce the number of flies around your home during the summer months and enjoy a more comfortable and fly-free season. If you have a persistent Flies infestation or require professional assistance, consider contacting Haven Pest Solutions. Our skilled specialists can give effective treatments suited to your unique requirements, ensuring a flies environment.